Friday, April 17, 2020

Standards for Learning

1. On a personal level (for example, as a student - in my case, as a parent) how do you feel about standards?
I definitely go back and forth when it comes to the standards. As a student, I personally have kind of always been biased towards standards. This is because it has always been strange to me that each student has to learn the same thing as the year prior. On the other hand, I can see why they got implemented, because there are certain lessons that I believe each class should know by the end of the year. 
Inception Meme | ARE YOU INDECISIVE I'M NOT SURE | image tagged in memes,inception | made w/ Imgflip meme maker






















2. As a future teacher, how do you view content learning standards?
When looking at it from a teacher's standpoint, I can see standards a little different. I think from a teacher's perspective, standards will probably be a great thing. They can be something that I can use to make sure all of my students learn what they need to know by the end of the year. On the other hand, the standards are still general enough that I can make the assignments fun and add my own flare to connect with the students. 

3. What did you learn about deconstructing standards and how confident are you about being able to do so?
Honestly, at this point, I am not super confident in the ability to deconstruct standards. I did learn however that deconstructing standards is the ability to break up a standard into smaller learning targets to guide daily instruction. I obviously will need more help with teaching standards, but I think that by writing out the standard, then breaking it up into helpful daily lessons is the first step. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you will be putting in your own modifications to standards to still make the instruction fun and meaningful for the students. That just because we have standards to teach to, does not mean that it has to be done as a cookie cut out. We are able to find ways to teach to the standard and still doing out best that the students will be enjoying themselves as much as we are able to assist in that process.

    ReplyDelete