Friday, April 10, 2020

Reflective Journal (1.11)

I have always been a.. different type of learner. I am one of the worst procrastinators according to many people that have seen my learning style. I love learning, don't get me wrong, I just struggle to pay/keep attention sometimes. This can make me an annoying learner. I am also very quiet in most classes in fear of sounding unintelligent. I have such a desire to learn something new everyday though so after I get past my procrastination, I will then become a perfectionist and want to learn everything about what I am throwing myself into.
Procrastination Memes - Posts | Facebook

I would say something huge that has impacted my life as a learner would be my previous schooling experiences. Throughout K-12, I never had homework or if I did, it was very minimal so I didn't really have to worry about doing it at a certain time. But when I got into college, I learned that there will almost always be homework, and you have to get it done quickly. It has been a struggle for me to try to change my ways of thinking, but I'm REALLY trying.

After taking the mindset quiz, I scored an 80% in the growth mindset range. When I began to read the chart from 1.10 about the difference between a fixed mindset and a growth mindset, I began to see the similarities between my mindset results and myself as a learner. My intelligence has developed over time, I wasn't one of those kids that was just born smart, I really have to work at doing well in school. Also, while I don't like challenges and setbacks, I would rather face them than just avoid them because I think that helps me learn more in the end.

I do still need to take steps to get closer to this growth mindset to help my students do the same one day. I really want to focus on not letting setbacks and challenges ever stop me (and the students) from giving up on the task. I want to show my students that setbacks are a part of life, and success will come to those that keep trying and don't give up.

32 Best Growth Mindset Memes images | Growth mindset, Mindset ...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam! I appreciate your honestly and I think many of us would be lying if we said we didn't procrastinate or have a fear of asking questions in a class at one point or another. Once I got to college, my freshman year I was in a time-management course where assignments were literally planning out classwork and when you'd do it that week. One of my favorite classes ever! Having a set out schedule is very underrated in my opinion, and is something that if you don't currently do could also help I believe. We couldn't be more similar in question 4, I too always have to put in a ton of time and effort to learn something, if it isn't sport related, I have to spend tons of time practicing to learn something. Just like you I would also face a challenge then run away from it, I do so by breaking down chunks at a time, making a big challenge a handful of smaller ones. Great answer to question 5, if you practice and preach that to your students, they will feel they can accomplish anything they work hard at and set their mind to! A great attitude to have at a young age that could carry throughout their lifetime!

    ReplyDelete